The 4th of July is coming up soon and that means many US citizens are planning to BBQ either at their house or with a group. When it comes to summertime BBQs, there is one dish that my husband and boys love to eat. My husband calls it bean mix, but I’ve also seen it called a ‘one-pot’ bean dinner.
This Crock Pot Bean Mix goes beyond your ordinary baked beans and really kicks it up a notch. There is so much IN the recipe that I can see why it was originally called a dinner when it appeared in the Rival crock-pot cookbook. However, I always consider it a side.
What to serve with these fabulous beans is a matter of preference. My guys are happy to have hot dogs from the grill. But, one thing that a few of them truly love is having it with potato salad. Something about the cold salad and the warm beans is just really appealing. (I’ll confess to combining the 2 on my fork or spoon when taking a bite.)
Making Crock Pot Bean Mix
Regardless of what name you want to give this dish, it is always well received. We’ve brought it to church potluck picnics in the summer and almost never have even a spoonful left in the crock-pot.
What foods are must haves for a summer BBQ or potluck?
For more July 4th & Patriotic ideas, check out a few posts from my favorite bloggers:
- Patriotic Mini Berry Tarts by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Patriotic DIY Candy Dish by A Mom’s Take
- How to Host a 4th of July Parade by Mom on the Side
- Patriotic Pudding Cups by Better in Bulk
- Perfect Southern Sweet Tea by Greta’s Day
- Patriotic String Art Craft by This Mama Loves
- DIY Beaded Flag Charm Craft for Kids by Cait’s Beauty Blog
- Patriotic Red, White and Blue Mason Jar Planters by Home and Garden Cafe
- Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes by Our Family World
- Treats for your 4th of July Cookout by Momma D Jane
- Greek Pasta Salad, a simple summer side by About a Mom
- Beet and Blueberry Salad by Upstate Ramblings