I have been, or can be if you click on a link and make a purchase, compensated via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value for writing this post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
Have you enjoyed a “PopTart” pastry in the past? Have kids that BEG you to buy them, yet you worry about the nutritional value? I’ll confess to picking some up on occasion. Yet, I find that they are rarely satisfying for the boys and the overall taste is that of sugar.
Well, with this recipe for Apple Pie Pastries, you can please your family’s palates while resting assure they are not eating junk food.
Tools to Have on Hand When Making Apple Pie Pastries
First off, when you are making pastries and need to incorporate butter into your flour, a pastry cutter is a must have tool. Pick one with a good grip! We have an older one with a wooden grip. However, I have been eyeing up the Norpro Grip Ez Pastry Blender for if that one were to break.
When it comes to rolling things out (or even working a dough), I am totally in love with this jumbo work mat from Norpro. I have a silicone baking mat that easily folds and stores in a drawer. Many of them can also be used for baking.
However, I enjoy the larger surface area of my new mat along with the rigid construction so there is no huge shifts while working with dough or rolling something out. And the price was much lower than I spent to buy a Tupperware one years ago at consultant pricing!
How to Make Apple Pie Pastries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter diced in cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 tbsps milk
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced apples
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsps water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt together.
- Add in butter and continue mixing until flour is well blended.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and milk until blended then add it to the flour mixture.
- Mix until the dough starts to form.
- Press dough on a flat surface, cover in plastic, and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan.
- Add the apples and stir until tender.
- Add the sugar and continue stirring until melted.
- Transfer apple mixture to a bowl and let cool.
- Add the egg, cinnamon, salt, and flour to the apples and mix until evenly distributed.
- Let it cool down.
- Cut the dough into rectangles, add in filling, and fold along the borders.
- Make 3-4 small cuts into the top of the dough.
- Bake until dough is golden brown.
- Whisk together the cinnamon, water, and sugar until smooth.
- Drizzle on top for a nice finish.
- Serve and enjoy.
Add 1 beaten egg yolk on top of dough before baking for an extra golden color.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238 Total Fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 38g Protein: 9g
Have you ever made homemade recipes that imitate a product you love?
Would your kids love these homemade apple pie pastries?