Springtime came early to Alaska this year. The snow has been gone from our yard for a few weeks compared to most years with piles of snow until mid to late May. The warmer weather has me wanting things that are a bit lighter than the cold weather food I tend to make even into April. I thought it would be nice to enjoy a taste of spring with Lemon Cheesecake Crumble Bars.
I will admit it was partly my frugal nature that opted to test these out. For my husband’s recent birthday, my aspiring chef baked a batch of cheesecake brownies which necessitated my purchasing a brick of cream cheese. Rather than let it go bad, I decided to try the lemon cheesecake crumble bar recipe that came with the container. However, the boys requested that I not top it with blueberries.
Lemon Cheesecake Crumble Bars
Making the Lemon Cheesecake Crumble Bars is super easy and uses readily available ingredients. The recipe lists a yellow cake mix. So, if you are eating gluten-free, just substitute with a gluten-free yellow cake mix and you should be set to go! You can probably play around with sugar substitutes, but for this round I left it with organic sugar cane.
Personally, I am working on trying to do more from scratch and hope to figure out a homemade cake mix, both with and without wheat flours.
The different mixing steps can be done using either a hand or stand mixer. I opted to use my Bosch Universal Plus Mixer with the heavy duty cookie paddles (metal driver instead of plastic!). A quick swipe of the interior of the bowl part way through the mixing process allowed everything to incorporate well.
For making my batch of these delicious bars, I used a metal 9 X 13 pan. Mine actually has marks on the side to show you where to cut to get up to 32 bars from your pan.
Just make sure that you are using a Nylon Dessert and Bread Knife if you do this in the pan! Otherwise, you can eyeball it after removing the large bar from the pan. I elected for the second option for the batch photographed for this post.
What types of desserts make you think about Spring?
Is a Lemon Cheesecake Crumble Bar something your family would enjoy?
For more spring posts, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- How to Make Easy Pickled Asparagus by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Strawberry Lemonade Mojito Mocktail by How Was Your Day?
- How to Make an Easy Broken Pot Succulent Container by Simply Southern Mom
- Butterfly Sun Catcher Craft by Kids Fun Reviewed
- Easy Strawberry Cream Pie by Mom Does It All
- Bird Nest Brownie Bowls Recipe by Sugar Spice and Family Life
- Vegan Rice Krispie Treat Tiger Lillies by Beyond Mommying
- Coffee Filter Butterfly Accessories by Mommy Snippets
- Spring Paper Butterflies Craft by Family Focus Blog
- Pineapple Kiwi Smoothie Bowl by Upstate Ramblings
- DIY Flower Loop Hair Bow Tutorial by Savvy Saving Couple