Shepherd’s Pie is a dish that my family enjoys eating for dinner. My husband is quick to remind me that making it Irish requires the use of lamb, either cooked chunks or ground and cooked. However, it can be challenging to find lamb locally that is American raised. So, I typically use ground beef when making it.
Meat + Potatoes + some vegetables = a dinner my husband and boys adore.
I figure it is the Irish roots coming through as this gal is far more drawn to pasta (Italian heritage for me!)
Note ~ This post contains affiliate links.
Making Shepherd’s Pie
If you can find lamb to cube or grind, then that’s going to give you a more authentic Irish dinner. But, feel free to substitute ground beef or even some poultry (if you don’t mind a much milder flavor.) For the beef stock, we like using Better Than Bouillon.
Something that we use for mashed potatoes that are melt in your mouth is a potato ricer. While I love smashed potatoes with skins and chunks, this is NOT the dish for that approach. The ricer lets you leave the skins on for cooking and then process through to have just fine pieces of cooked potato.
My preference is to do all the cooking in the Lodge 12-inch Cast-Iron Skillet we own as it can go from the stovetop to the oven with no issues. However, if you have to double the recipe then a large disposable Aluminum pan
might do the trick.
For more St. Patrick’s Day and Irish ideas, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Irish Dublin Coddle Recipe from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Green Shamrock Gummy Candy by This Mama Loves
- Irish Skeleton Key Necklace by The Socialite’s Closet
- Mint Shower Scrub Bridal Party Favor by A Bride on a Budget
- Skinny Shamrock Shake by Jen Around the World
- Shamrock Smoothie Creation by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Mint Chocolate Fluff by Mom on the Side
- Leprechaun Hat Cupcakes by Kids Fun Reviewed
- St. Patrick’s Day Wreath – Dollar Store DIY by MommaDJane
- Lucky Rustic Wall Hanging: A Paint Stick Craft by Food Fun Family
- Green Tea & Peppermint Sea Salt Foot Scrub by Sincerely Mindy
- Matcha Pear Green Smoothie by Upstate Ramblings
- Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes by How Was Your Day?
- DIY Shamrock Tree by Simply Southern Mom
- Easy St. Patrick’s Day Brownies by Mom Does it All
- No Bake Mini Mint Oreo Cheesecake by Sugar Spice and Family Life
- Mini Banofee Pie by Beyond Mommying
- Green Smoothies for St. Patrick’s Day by Family Focus Blog
- Leprechaun Bark by sweet lil you
- Good Luck Vintage Cab Ring by Style on Main
- Send Them Out the Door Ready for a Good Day by Beautiful Touches
What types of food do you enjoy for dinner?
Are your family members big on meat and potatoes?