We are in the final days of Advent. And, there is a song many of us know well that fits with these last days before Christmas.
O Come, O Come Emmanuel is also known as O Antiphons. I used to enjoy singing this as soon as Advent began. But in more recent years, I have preferred to wait until the last days of Advent arrive. Roman Catholic tradition has them sung from December 17 to December 23.
Each antiphon is a name of Christ, one of his attributes mentioned in Scripture. They are:
- December 17: O Sapientia (O Wisdom)
- December 18: O Adonai (O Lord)
- December 19: O Radix Jesse (O Root of Jesse)
- December 20: O Clavis David (O Key of David)
- December 21: O Oriens (O Dayspring)
- December 22: O Rex Gentium (O King of the nations)
- December 23: O Emmanuel (O With Us is God)
Here’s O Come, O Come Emmanuel by Selah to scenes from The Nativity Story.
And for the ‘purist’ who prefers Latin, here is Veni Veni Emmanuel
This post is being linked up to this week’s 40 Days of Seeking Him meme. I hope you will come back to share more during this season of Advent.