I have been, or can be if you click on a link and make a purchase, compensated via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value for writing this post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
Before we know it, May will be here. That means lots of reasons to celebrate including Mother’s Day and graduation parties. Our eldest son is graduating this year and I’m already thinking about what dishes I can be making for an open house style party next month. As I love to have dishes that are colorful and a bit healthier of an option for our guests. This easy to make Spinach Salad with Strawberries is just perfect and all but one son gave it two thumbs up when we tested it in our home.
While I am showing the recipe here, you can always make up a ‘kit’ to bless someone with the candied almonds and salad dressing already made so all they need to do is put it all into a bowl and toss. As the recipe serves 13, you can make it everything once and split it in half for sharing. Here’s a free printable tag for sharing, just right click to save the jpg for printing:
See my notes about increasing the spinach and strawberries if you like a lighter coat of dressing, too. I also included alternative salad toppings with the same dressing and spinach as the base. The recipe is from the (Amazon affiliate links) Taste of Home Cookbook, 3rd Edition: Best Loved Classics and All-New Favorites which my son received in a cooking class at his school. For those who do not like using a whisk to make your salad dressing, we’ve had success with items like a Blender Ball Bottle or a hand held immersion blender with attachments.
For gifting someone, you can use a swing top glass bottle to provide the dressing or a pint sized mason jar. Put all of the individually packaged ingredients in a large mixing bowl to deliver and consider including a nice pair of tongs for tossing and serving the salad. If you want to make the gift a little larger than just the salad, a pound of great pasta along with sauce and cheese plus a crusty loaf of bread could make for a yummy meal. What busy mom or teacher wouldn’t love an easy to pull together meal?
Recipe for Spinach Salad with Strawberries
- For Candied Almonds:
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- For Dressing:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- For salad:
- 10 ounces of baby spinach
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- To make the candied almonds: Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the almonds, sprinkling the sugar on top. Cook and stir for about 3 minutes, or until the almonds are lightly browned. Spread the almonds onto a piece of foil to cool, breaking apart before using on the salad. You can store in a plastic bag for later use.
- To make the dressing:
- Using a whisk, mix together all of the dressing ingredients. This will be a THICK dressing.
- To make the salad:
- Just before you are ready to serve, combine the spinach and strawberries in a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing on top as well as sprinkling the almonds, tossing to coat the salad evenly.
I've included the original salad dressing serving size and nutrition. I found the amount of dressing to be more than I personally like. I would use a pound container of spinach for this amount of dressing and increase the number or strawberries to 4 cups with it serving 12 total. The increase to calories would be negligible unless you also increased the amount of sugared almonds.
Notes in the original recipe have an alternative to strawberries. You can omit the strawberries, adding 2 cups of peeled and sectioned oranges along with slices of red onion and mushrooms. Or, omit the candied almonds and strawberries to make a green apple spinach salad with 2 chopped tart green apples, 1/2 cup chopped cashews, and 1/4 cup golden raisins.
Serving Size:3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 28mg Fiber: 2g Sugar: 28g Protein: 2g
What is a favorite Spring inspired salad for you?
What other dishes would you serve on a buffet with this salad?
Have you every gifted someone with a dish ready to make?
For more amazing ideas, check out some blog posts from a few of my favorite bloggers:
- DIY Lavender Facial by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Easy Cookie Platter Mother’s Day Gift by A Mom’s Take
- DIY Mother’s Day Herb Garden Gift by Mom Does It All
- Refresh Your Vanity with an Easy Vanity Tray DIY Makeover by Style on Main
- Homemade Painted Glass Bottle by Our Family World
- Thanks a Latte Teacher Gift by Simply Southern Mom
- DIY Shea Butter Lotion Bars by Better in Bulk
- DIY Mother’s Day Coupon Book for Twin Moms by Mom on the Side
- DIY Butterfly Wall Hanging by Home and Garden Cafe
- DIY Aromatherapy Shower Fizzies by My So Called Balanced Life
- Easy DIY Photo Coasters & a Delicious Mocktail to Spoil Mom by Two Boys One Girl One Crazy Mom
- How to Make Your Own Embellished Sunglasses by Greta’s Day
- DIY Kitchen Herb Garden Gift by About a Mom
- Pasta Picture Frame by Upstate Ramblings
- Easy Marquee Letter Craft by Momma D Jane’s Blog
- School’s Out for Summer Gift by The Guavalicious Life