I have been, or can be if you click on a link and make a purchase, compensated via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value for writing this post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
In the last week, I had TWO different bloggers I follow give an award to this blog. They landed at a time when the winter doldrums were starting to set it. Many thanks to these wonderful blogging ladies for thinking of me and sharing the love.
First off…Hallie at Our Broken Road gave me the Versatile Blogger Award.
Hallie and I connected through a blog hop a few months back. She used to live here in Alaska, just down the road from where we now live (if a previous post of hers with a photo is the neighborhood I think it is.) I’m always glad when she comments on our Alaskan adventures and how she recollects visiting the same places.
The other award that came my way was the Stylish Blogger Award passed along by Kelli at Raising an Arrow.
Kelli is another homeschool mom with something in common with me….a science degree!
Now, both of these awards come with the ‘requirement’ that you post 7 new things about yourself and then pass them along to 15 different bloggers.
Since I just did a big pass the baton for the Tag, I’m It meme, I won’t be passing these along to that many bloggers. After all 30 blogs is a LOT! Besides, I don’t want anyone to think I’m forever picking on them with memes or awards.
So, some other things about Laura O and family…
- We live in a big, log home surrounded by trees. The realtor we used didn’t even want to show us this house. While I can see why many prefer shiny and new, I think the old and tired look fits us pretty well. Besides, with four boys in the house, things have a way of looking worn in no time.
- I am slowly curbing my book collecting addiction. Maybe it’s the fact we went over weight on the move and ended up with a big bill. Maybe it’s that I do not have enough bookshelves to contain all the books we already own. Or, maybe I have decided that there’s just too much clutter in our lives and I’d rather have others be blessed with books we could have brought home. Any way you cut it, we are not bringing a ton into the house and we’ve started a few boxes of books to sell or giveaway. By Christmas, I hope to have all of those out of the house.
- While everyone else was excited about moving to Alaska for the long winter, Laura O was NOT nearly as excited. Snow and ice are pretty to look at through the window, but not so much fun for the Southern raised gal to experience up close and personal. However, studded tires and snow cleats help a LOT.
- The family is glad that Little J’s favorite group to watch is The Wiggles. You Make Me Feel Like Dancing hasn’t gotten old yet. Besides, things could be worse… he might be addicted to Teletubbies or Barney!
- Laura is convinced that the boys sometimes plot to ‘forget’ their snacks or packed lunches so she is guilted into buying fast food. Taco Bell, Carl’s, Jr., Wendy’s or the hot dog combo from Costco or Sam’s Club are their favorites. Once the Wendy’s gift cards dry up, though, they’ll just have to suffer until returning home.
- We are a family of “do-it-ourselfers.” This is partly out of necessity (as it adds up quickly when you have to hire out for things) and partly because it just plain ole’ feels good to accomplish things.
- Finally, Laura,P and R had the occasion to attend Divine Liturgy at the Byzantine Church in Anchorage earlier this year. They are now conspiring to get the rest of the family there to experience what they did. Mr. O will probably enjoy it more than most of the Catholic Masses we’ve attended.
And, now to pass along the awards to a few of the bloggers I read and love…
Michelle at A Life Better Than I Deserve ~ I am sending the Versatile Blogger Award.
Mrs. White at The Legacy of Home ~ I am sending the Versatile Blogger Award.
DingoFamily at The Homeschool Den ~ I am sending the Versatile Blogger Award.
Tonya at Live the Adventure ~ I am sending the Versatile Blogger Award.
Justakrazymom at Wayzley Academy ~ I am sending the Stylish Blogger Award.
Therese at Aussie Coffee Shop ~ I am sending the Stylish Blogger Award.
Apryl at following Him home ~ I am sending the Stylish Blogger Award.
Debbie at The Architect and the Artist ~ I am sending the Stylish Blogger Award.
+JMJ+ at Totus Tuus Family & Catholic Homeschool ~ I am sending the Stylish Blogger Award.