I have been, or can be if you click on a link and make a purchase, compensated via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value for writing this post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
I am one of those 'strange' moms who has never sent a child to preschool. Instead, we've read lots of books, gone to story times and craft programs at the library and just learned about different aspects of life at home. Not that I think some structure is a bad thing. Rather, I can't stomach the cost of most preschool programs. I've just found an alternative: EmbarK12 Comprehensive- Online and hands-on preschool program for your early learner.
As much as I'd love to maintain the status quo approach I've used in the past, I am seriously evaluating whether to become more structured with my 4 year old. With the new digital age, I know that he'd enjoy using EmbarK12 Online – Over 830 interactive activities to engage your preschooler.
EmbarK¹² Online offers more than 800 activities through 12 different units with everything geared for children ages 3 to 6. Each unit (such as "Travel and Explore") provides related content and activities, covering Math, Language and Literacy, and topics from the world around them. Tne annual cost is $59.95 for this resource.
EmbarK¹² Comprehensive takes it a step further. There are over 1200 age-appropriate activities which seek to engage children using a wide variety of interactive multimedia and hands-on materials – over 288 hours in total. There are a total of 18 thematic units covering the subjects of Math, Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, Music, and Art.
The features of EmbarK¹² are impressive.
• Over 1,200 age-appropriate activities, engaging children using a wide variety of interactive multimedia and hands-on materials – over 288 hours of activities in all!
• 18 thematic units covering 6 subjects: Math, Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, Music, and Art. Examples of themes include: Family and Friends, My Five Senses, and Looking at Animals.
• Over 450 online activities rich in multimedia content and games that help make learning fun and engaging.
• Over 750 hands-on activities designed to support EmbarK¹² themes and promote creativity among eager learners using math manipulatives, children's storybooks, art supplies, and other learning aids.
• 18 digital guides that detail the objectives and activities of each unit with easy instructions for making the most of EmbarK¹² Comprehensive.
• Winner of five distinguished awards and used in national childcare center
• Aligned with Common Core and essential concepts of the National Association for the Education of Young Children and Core Knowledge Foundation
• Based on National Research Council, American Psychological Association, National Reading Panel, National Math Panel, and American Educational Research
Even if my son only worked through a portion of the material, I know that he'd be one step closer to being ready for kindergarten in the fall of 2015.
I know that I like to test things out before laying out my husband's hard earned money. Thankfully, you can do just that with the Kindergarten readiness programs by K12. Try a sample activity today.
Here's a short informational video about the program so you can get a flavor of what to expect and determine if it meets the needs for your child and family.
If you find that EmbarK¹² Online is something you want to use with your preschool child, you can save 50% off the annual cost if purchased within first 7 days of this post's publication. Use the promo code EmbarkSpecial to bring the cost from $59.95 for 12 months to just $29.50. I don't think that would cover more than a week at a preschool program up here!