About a year ago, I saw this recipe for Black Bean brownies over at my friend Colleen’s blog, My Dairy Free Gluten Free Life. I pinned it to try later and just got to the point where I wanted to do it. Only, instead of making it just like she did (with a Peppermint flavor added to the chocolate), I decided to create flourless brownies with craisins and pistachios.
The family had mixed reactions to my creation, but I will say that this mama is loving it for a healthier chocolate fix! I just might try to make a batch that comes out more like fudge (leaving out the eggs and baking powder.) The upside for that route is I can enjoy the blender scrapings or taste it to see if the overall flavor is fine before baking.
Making Flourless Brownies with Craisins and Pistachios
Colleen’s original post had flourless brownies with Peppermint essential oil added to the batter. I am a huge fan of peppermint with chocolate. However, I wanted to try something a little different.
Beyond adding Craisins and pistachios, I also boosted the protein content with chocolate protein powder, added little fiber through ground flax seed, and a boost of flavor with vanilla extract.
There is a little prep required for this recipe. I chopped the Craisins, pistachios, and larger chocolate chips up before adding to the mix. Otherwise, it is pretty much a measure and add to a blender or food processor.
I let my pan of flourless brownies cool on a cooling rack before using a dough cutter to slice through the still soft concoction. Storing them in a refrigerator seems to be a common recommendation for brownies made with black beans. As my 6-year-old decided he loves this batch, I don’t think they’d be around long to spoil!
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup sugar source (you can use liquid sweeteners or other options following their chart for equivalency)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil (I melted to measure mine)
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- ½ cup chocolate protein powder
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
- ¼ cup Craisins, chopped
- ½ cup chocolate chips or diced dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all ingredients except the pistachios, Craisins and chocolate chips into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add Craisins, pistachios and chocolate chips into the brownie mix and stir to blend.
- Pour into a greased 8X8-inch pan. You can top with chocolate chips and pistachios if desired.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Test by using a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean, then the brownies are done.
- Let cool and then cut into pieces.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Have you tried brownies or other baked goods using beans instead of flour?
For more Pinterest remakes, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Berry Sipper Mocktail by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Starbucks Cup Gift Card Holder by Homemaking Hacks
- Ice Lanterns by Upstate Ramblings
- Lip Scrub by Mom Always Finds Out
- The Best Homemade Vanilla Extract by How Was Your Day?
- The Best Crockpot Chili Recipe by Food Fun Family
- Vintage Cheddar and Gruyere Mac and Cheese with Polish Kielbasa by A Day in Motherhood
- DIY Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe by Just 2 Sisters
- Tiger Nut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies by Home and Garden Cafe
- Bang Bang Chicken by Jennifer Sikora
- Frozen Banana Yogurt Peanut Dog Treats by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Dark Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Oatmeal by Sincerely Mindy
- Garlic Monkey Bread Recipe by Gator Mommy
- Homemade Vanilla Orange Mint Sugar Scrub by Baby Loving Mama
- Valentine’s Day Strawberries by Sizzling Eats
- All Natural 2 Ingredient Lip Gloss by The Socialite’s Closet
- Pantry Tomato Pasta by The Guavalicious Life
- How to Make Strawberry Pecan Bread by Mommy Snippets