About a year ago, I saw this recipe for Black Bean brownies over at my friend Colleen’s blog, My Dairy Free Gluten Free Life. I pinned it to try later and just got to the point where I wanted to do it. Only, instead of making it just like she did (with a Peppermint flavor added to the chocolate), I decided to create flourless brownies with craisins and pistachios.
The family had mixed reactions to my creation, but I will say that this mama is loving it for a healthier chocolate fix! I just might try to make a batch that comes out more like fudge (leaving out the eggs and baking powder.) The upside for that route is I can enjoy the blender scrapings or taste it to see if the overall flavor is fine before baking.
Making Flourless Brownies with Craisins and Pistachios
Colleen’s original post had flourless brownies with Peppermint essential oil added to the batter. I am a huge fan of peppermint with chocolate. However, I wanted to try something a little different.
Beyond adding Craisins and pistachios, I also boosted the protein content with chocolate protein powder, added little fiber through ground flax seed, and a boost of flavor with vanilla extract.
There is a little prep required for this recipe. I chopped the Craisins, pistachios, and larger chocolate chips up before adding to the mix. Otherwise, it is pretty much a measure and add to a blender or food processor.
I let my pan of flourless brownies cool on a cooling rack before using a dough cutter to slice through the still soft concoction. Storing them in a refrigerator seems to be a common recommendation for brownies made with black beans. As my 6-year-old decided he loves this batch, I don’t think they’d be around long to spoil!
Have you tried brownies or other baked goods using beans instead of flour?
For more Pinterest remakes, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Berry Sipper Mocktail by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Starbucks Cup Gift Card Holder by Homemaking Hacks
- Ice Lanterns by Upstate Ramblings
- Lip Scrub by Mom Always Finds Out
- The Best Homemade Vanilla Extract by How Was Your Day?
- The Best Crockpot Chili Recipe by Food Fun Family
- Vintage Cheddar and Gruyere Mac and Cheese with Polish Kielbasa by A Day in Motherhood
- DIY Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe by Just 2 Sisters
- Tiger Nut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies by Home and Garden Cafe
- Bang Bang Chicken by Jennifer Sikora
- Frozen Banana Yogurt Peanut Dog Treats by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Dark Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Oatmeal by Sincerely Mindy
- Garlic Monkey Bread Recipe by Gator Mommy
- Homemade Vanilla Orange Mint Sugar Scrub by Baby Loving Mama
- Valentine’s Day Strawberries by Sizzling Eats
- All Natural 2 Ingredient Lip Gloss by The Socialite’s Closet
- Pantry Tomato Pasta by The Guavalicious Life
- How to Make Strawberry Pecan Bread by Mommy Snippets