Both for my husband and myself, there is Irish blood flowing through our veins. This means that we do like to enjoy some typical Irish fare on occasion.
While I am not one for corned beef and cabbage (which he is), I do enjoy a nice stew with bread. Knowing that St. Patrick’s Day is coming up soon, I thought it might be nice to make a simple Irish dinner to test my skills at making Irish Soda Bread and an easy Irish Stew. (Note ~ affiliate links are included in this post. Thank you for any purchase you make through them to support this site.)
Simple Irish Dinner ~ Irish Soda Bread
Now, I have had some different Irish Soda breads in the past and many of them call for currants. While my boys can be adventurous in their eating compared to some their age, I do have a few boys who balk at chunks of anything in their bread unless it is chocolate chips. So, I decided to make up a loaf of the bread without the currants and think it will be wonderful toasted with butter and jam as well.
I’d seen in the How to Cook Everything cookbook that you could make this with a food processor or by hand. I thought I’d try using my Bosch to keep my hands clean, but found that it wasn’t the same as a food processor and I still had to tip it out and knead a little by hand to finish mixing it all together. Plus, from using whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt, the suggested amount was not sufficient to get it moist, so I added about 2 Tbsp. of milk while hand kneading.
Complete your dinner with my recipe for Irish Stew.
Do you have an Irish heritage or just love the Irish?
Is St. Patrick’s Day a cause for celebration in your house?
For more amazing St. Patrick’s Day ideas, check out some blog posts from a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Bailey’s Irish Cream Non Alcoholic Irish Coffee Creamer from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Irish Potatoes Candy Recipe from My So Called Balance Life
- Simple No Bake Chocolate Crossies in Green from Two Girls One Boy and a Crazy Mom
- DIY St. Patrick’s Day Mason Jar Planters from Home and Garden Cafe
- St. Patrick’s Day cupcakes with a healthier twist from Our Family World
- Simple Shamrock Picture (DIY Shamrock Crafts) from Simply Southern Mom
- Kiss Me I’m Irish DIY Burlap Bag from A Mom’s Take
- Mint Sugar Scrub from Better in Bulk
- Green Tea Shamrock Cookies from About a Mom
- Mason Jar Tealights from Upstate Ramblings
- White Hot Chocolate Recipe from This Mama Loves
- DIY Hulk Green Slim from Momma D Jane
- Infinite Luck Bracelet from Style on Main
- Reuben Sandwich from How Was Your Day?