January is flying by and February will be here before I know it will be Valentine’s Day. While we don’t always do something special for breakfast that day, I thought it might be nice to come up with something everyone can enjoy. So, I’m sharing a favorite muffin recipe that I have not made it quite some time….Chocolate Strawberry Muffins.
This recipe came about from the Moosewood Restaurant New Cookbook which has a generic muffin recipe that you can customize. I adore chocolate and strawberries. So, back when we still lived in Ohio I started making this combination for special occasions, either with or without chopped almonds in the mix. I found that warming them up just a little makes the flavor pop more. So, bake away, stock the freezer and then warm up on a low setting in a toaster oven to enjoy for breakfast or a snack during the day.
I hope you enjoy them as much as me!
- Wet Ingredients:
- 6 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups chopped strawberries
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cinammon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the egg, milk and vanilla extract, beating to mix. This WILL be a lumpy mixture! With a spoon, add in the strawberries, chocolate chips, and nuts (if using.)
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients, folding until just mixed. Divide evenly among 12 muffin cup spots (this will be approximately ⅓ cup of muffin batter per cup.)
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, rotating after 20 minutes in the oven to ensure more even baking.
- Cool for 15 minutes on cooling racks before serving.
Almonds are my preference for a nut, but you can experiment with others. Also, almond extract can be used instead of vanilla extract for a different depth of flavor.
Any favorite breakfast items for Valentine’s Day in your house?
If you’re looking for other ideas to make your Valentine’s Day a little bit more special, I’m sharing a few ideas from my favorite bloggers.
- Romantic Lavender Linen Spray from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Homemade Bath Salts from Momma D Jane
- Pomegranate Cherry Parfait from Upstate Rambling
- Glittered Wine Glasses from How Was Your Day?
- Sparkling Cider Etched Bottle with Love Printable by A Mom’s Take
- Valentine’s Day Breakfast Recipe by Our Family World
- DIY Heart Handwarmers by About A Mom
- Reeses Pieces Valentine Jar by This Mama Loves
- Valentine’s Day Wall Hanging by Better in Bulk
- Decadent Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Recipe from My So Called Balanced Life
- Strawberry Cream Parfait for your Cubit from 2Boys + 1Girl = One Crazy Mom
- White Chocolate Valentine Hearts from Views from the Ville
- Valentine Love Letters Craft from Philzendia
- DIY Valentine’s Bath Fizzies from Simply Southern Mom
- Heart Shaped Oatmeal Dog Treats from Two Little Cavaliers
- Mason Jar Valentine’s Day Craft from Sunshine and Sippy Cups
- Valentine’s Class Parties from The Guavalicious Life
- Valentine’s DIY Cards from Libby’s Library
- Mini Meatloves for Valentine’s Day Dinner from Mom on the Side