During Lent, I will make lentil soup at least a few times. It is a great vegetarian dish to have and can be supplemented with a warm crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich for hungry bellies. My family loves this dish and I’ve received compliments when bringing it to Soup and Stations on Fridays in Lent at our church.
Preparing to Cook the Lentil Soup
Lentil Soup is so easy to make with all of the ‘work’ being done up front with the prep and cooking of vegetables. I usually gather all my ingredients, move to chopping the vegetables and then will sauté them for a brief while before everything goes into the pot for a long simmer.
Lentil Soup ~ Recipe
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 4 to 6 stalks of celery, washed and sliced
- 4 to 6 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic, crushed or diced (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. vegetarian chicken boullion powder
- 1 lb. dried lentils
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 to 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 small bay leaves
- Prepare all diced vegetables and rinse the lentils.
- In skillet, saute the diced onion, celery, carrots and garlic (if used).
- In soup pot, bring the water to a boil. Add chicken boullion powder, stirring to dissolve.
- Add sauteed vegetables, lentils, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and bay leaf.
- Simmer on low to medium heat (a slow rolling boil) for an hour.
- Remove bay leaves and serve with salt and pepper to taste.
Looking for some more soup or stew recipes? Check out this great link up, too.
Latest posts by Laura (see all)
- Find Your Beautiful Skin with Naturalico Hyaluronic Acid Serum - January 27, 2015
- Fun & Flirty Valentine’s Day Gifts for Her | Personalization Mall - January 26, 2015
- Disney’s Strange Magic Family Friendly Activities and Fun Facts - January 23, 2015
- Embrace the Liturgical Year with The Feasts by Cardinal Donald Wuerl and Mike Aquilina - January 20, 2015
- Chocolate Strawberry Muffins for Valentine’s Day Breakfast - January 20, 2015