A few weeks ago, I had a review of The Money Saving Mom®’s Budget on the blog.
This is not a ‘listen and run’ resource. Rather, I see it as a listen, be inspired and then ACT on changes you need to make.
I thought it might be good for my own accountability to share some of the goals I am inspired to set. These are to start and not necessarily representative of all I want to accomplish.
Create a financial budget for our household
- Look back at the past few months expenses and use that as a guide for where the money is going
- Evaluate what expenses can be trimmed (e.g. cutting back on channels through the cable company)
- Make sure we continue to strive for the 5% tithe to the parish
Create a time budget to create balance in life
- Schedule time for purging and filing papers on a regular basis
- Continue to make a conscious choice to not ‘burn the midnight oil’
- Evaluate obligations outside of maintaining the home and educating the boys and cut back some of them
Purge through the house, donating useable materials and tossing things that are garbage
- Sort all clothes the boys are not wearing; toss severely stained or ripped items and donate items that do not need to be saved for another one ‘coming up’
- Go through my clothing again and purge clothes that do not fit, keeping only a few ‘fat’ clothes around.
- Go through DVDs and CDs to purge what we don’t want any longer; put remaining DVDs and CDs into zipper holders and store original cases in the attic.
- School room purge (homeschool materials and games we no longer need or want.)
- Toss old catalogs and magazines of little value.
Set a savings goal for a big want (e.g. the family trip to Hawaii)
- Check on typical prices for flights and how much housing on base or via a friend’s condo would be for amount needed.
- Look at the budget and plan to save on a weekly basis into secondary savings account for the trip
- Send hubby on a deployment assignment to earn more money (okay, only if HE wants to spend months apart from us to get the extra pay.)
What goals are YOU setting right now to improve your life?